Tuesday, June 22, 2010

After spending a few fantastic days in MN. with Bob's family we flew to Chicago to visit Jane, Ben and Jake.
We had a barbecue at Sy and Hollie's on Memorial Day. Have I mentioned before that Sy is the King of Grill Masters. Hollie gardens and has a beautiful yard. To my regret my pictures did not turn out but maybe I can get her to send us some photos. With the combination of Sy's food and Hollie's gardening they create a paradise for spectacular dinners. Lisa and Nick were there along with some friends of Sy and Hollie's.

We also had dinner at Lee and Maria's which is always fabulous. John and David were there. Maria is an excellent cook and has a blog with recipes and beautiful table displays of food, place settings and etc. I think it is becoming her specialty. It is called "Dreams and Epiphanies"

Mary Ann brought lunch to Jane's house from Panera Bread (one of my favorites). It was nice to see Mary Ann and Lee and Maria's family once again before we would leave Chicago.

I just realized that I have been centering most social events around food. What can I say. What a better way to spend time with the ones you love.

Denise, my niece ( I love to say that, "Denise my niece") visited us at Jane's. She made a beautiful flower for my hair. At some point I will get someone to take a photo of me wearing it. It's very dramatic and makes a statement. I adore spending time with my nieces and nephews. I think I have about thirty five of them on my side of the family and several on Bob's side of the family. I hardly know some of them and that saddens me.

Below are some shots of Jake's baseball game. It is a rare occasion that we can attend one of his activities. Because of bad weather Brent could not fly and was detained in Val Paraso Ind. It is about an hour and a half from Jane's so he drove up and spent the evening with everyone and also attended Jake's baseball game. I think Jake was loving the attention from his visitors and we loved being there.

2 comments:

Maria said...

Thank you so much for your kind words, Barb! I love having you guys over for dinner. You are such good company and such delightful guests!

As far as tablescapes becoming my specialty, I have to tell you, and Lee will be my witness, that I have been doing this since before we were married. My mother was a tablescaper par excellence. She was teaching me how to set beautiful tables even before there was a name for it. You are noticing it now, because I've just begun to include some of them on my blog. I love to cook, and setting a nice table is my way of extending the enjoyment of what goes on the plate.

I hope you come back soon, so I can try a new recipe on you.

Barb said...

To Maria,
I meant the tablescapes seem to be coming your specialty on your blog.