Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Hurricane Ike took over 40,000 Oak trees from Galveston leaving many stumps as a reminder. Artists have been sculpting those tree stumps making something creative and beautiful as a memorial to those trees. It has become a tourist attraction and should I say a project to get around to see the various sculptures. Here are a few photos that Bob took. I was the chauffeur while Bob and his sister Angela took most of the pictures. As a photography team they did very well. You may notice some of the architecture and gardening in the background of the sculptures. I will posts some additional homes and gardens later.

3 comments:

Maria said...

Wow! How incredibly sad about the loss of the oak trees! Having said that, these wood carvings feel a bit creepy to me . . . I can't quite put my finger on why . . . Maybe because it doesn't seem like a dignified end for these wonderful trees?

Barb said...

Me being the artist that I am can fully appreciate the works of art made from what was left of the trees. I think it extends the life of the tree in an artful way. I think it was an innavative way to preserve the memory of the trees instead of completey chopping it down or making something practicle from it.

Angela2932 said...

I'm excited about getting close to posting my photos of the wood sculptures too, and love the re-visit through your blog. I think the Sculpture Tree Tour was my favorite part of being in Galveston, and it was so clear that the homeowners felt very honored and proud to have the artists try to envision and create the sculpture from the sad remains from the storm. To me, it was a very moving way to not just fall under the weight of the storm and aftermath of community disaster, but to find a way to celebrate a new chapter. I guess I was also so touched by it after having been through our own community's devastation and knowing what it's like when everything can seem so bleak.