Sunday, December 26, 2010

Yesterday being Christmas and because of hosting a house full of people I didn't get my camera out. Sometimes you get too busy and caught up in the moment. I will probably regret at least not asking Bob to take some pictures but sometimes the memories are good enough.

Back to our trip to Indiana: Bob and I picked up my sister Pam then my cousin Larry and drove to Frankfort to visit my Aunt Geneva. I attended school in Frankfort until I was in the eighth grade. After spending some time with Aunt Geneva we took a ride in my childhood neighborhood. My grade school was torn down and there was just an empty lot. The house I grew up in was still there but looked totally different. It was not very well kept and it had been changed without the best interest of the original Victorian design. The apple tree was gone and the beautiful flowers and shrubs that my Mom planted and maintained were gone. I felt kind of sick in the pit of my stomach. I didn't take a picture and hope the drive by doesn't forever ruin the more beautiful images of my memories of so many years ago.

2 comments:

Maria said...

I know what you mean. We drove by the old house in the city and were shocked to see how the beautiful peonies that I babied were being neglected. It was very sad seeing it all. I'm glad you got to spend some time with your aunt and cousin.

Angela2932 said...

And I know what you mean by a house full of people, busyness, and lack of time for our usual "play!" I did take photos, but am now the pariah of the household, so must behave myself the rest of their visit. . . .

Even with the sadness of seeing the decline of your childhood garden, there's something still important about seeing it again. When we see our old house in Cicero, it's so obviously in better shape now and there's even something about that that bothers me--a sense of "why couldn't it have been nicer when WE lived there?" I remember my dad hand-building and painting a tiny little fence for the grass in the front. . . . which still would never grow. . . .

And LOL about your comment on my blog! Why yes, that "risk-taker" would be the same cliff-jumper you saw! Doug and I are watching old videos this am of our year in Utah, and seeing that same little cliff-jumper, at age 8, climbing, jumping, perching on the edge of 5800 ft high canyons! (ughhh!)