Thursday, October 20, 2011

It's The Call You Never Want To Get

A couple of weeks ago I was packing for vacation and received a call from my son-in-law Rob. "Barb, Austin was injured during football practice at school and has been care flighted to Cook's Children's Hospital in Ft. Worth." "Joy accompanied him in the helicopter." What? What happened? How bad is he hurt? Where did you say they went? I just couldn't process what I was hearing but realizing that Rob was as concerned as I was I got myself together. Austin's femur bone was completely broken and separated from each other. He had surgery later that day and thankfully everything is OK. He is in a wheel chair for 10 days then crutches for 2 months. Other than the fact that he is a 13 year old boy and being confined is not fun, it looks like he will be fine. I would like to add that walking into Cook's Children's hospital with all of their dynamic designs for children it is almost as good as walking into Disney. What a joy to know that there is a beautiful place for sick children. It has to make them feel just a little better.

So, celebrating Austin's 13Th birthday today is just that much more meaningful to all of us who love him.

Happy Birthday Austin!

3 comments:

Maria said...

Looking at that injured leg still makes me cringe! Poor Austin! Thank goodness that he received such good care! Happy birthday to him!

Joanne said...

Oh Poor little guy! That is such a horrible break. I hope he heals fast. I know you all were probably frantic with worry. I am glad that he will be alright. Time to stock up on magazines, DVDs and video games to keep the little man busy. He'll be in my prayers.
Blessings, Joanne

Jane Kuan said...

It's good to hear that Austin is doing well now. Wishing him a speedy recovery.